Friday, February 25, 2011

Plain and Simple...

I want more kids. I do. I won't lie.  We lost the twin to my little Anna, and found out later that it was not a good idea for me to have anymore kids.  My body is just not wired right to handle the pregnancy thing.  And besides, B took one for the team, hee hee.  I knew that decision was final, and I am alright with that. 

Plain and simple, B and I know for a fact that our family is not complete.  There is a void and we notice it on a daily basis.  My heart earns for completion.  This would be so much easier if I could just have another baby, but that is not the answer.  At least not for us. 

So, with a lot of prayers and talking to those who have either been adopted or have adopted, we have found our answer.  A couple of weeks ago, B and I met with a counsler from the Utah Foster Care Foundation.  Our first meeting went really well.  We spoke of so many things and answered so many questions.
  •  Is our family ready for an additional family member?  Have we talked to our kids about this?
  • Can we handle having a child in our house for a year or more and have them taken back to their family?  Could we handle the news of the abuse or neglect of this child? 
  • Would we welcome them in our home with open arms, no matter their race, religion or health problems? 
  • Are we willing to help them with patience, love and concern?
  • What age group do we want?  There are negatives and positives to all of them, including babies.
  • They most likely will have sleep problems, behavioral and emotional problems. 
  • Most of the kids hord their food because they don't know when their next meal will come.

So many questions, all came with honest answers and some with real hesitation.  I would be lying if I told you that I walked away feeling amazing and excited.  Truth is I walked away feeling scared and questioning my ability to do a good job.  Who am I to do this?  Is this right for our family?  I am not a perfect mother and our family is full of chaos on it's own.  But I did walk away feeling stronger than I ever have about the decision that B and I have made.  I have no idea what to expect.  I have no idea what the future may bring, but I am hoping that this process will bring us closer to bringing a child into our home.  I am convinced someone out there needs us as much as we need them.  I want that child to come into our home knowing that they will be loved and safe.  That's really all I want.  To give a child a chance. 
 
I hope I can do this.  It's going to take time, patience and prayer.  This road is going to have it's up's and down's, probably more down's, but we are ready. I can't wait to get to the next step.  The month of March will be full of information and classes and getting our background check done.  There will be emotions that I am sure I have never experienced and won't know how to handle.  We will just be taking this one step at a time and I truly can't wait to see what happens. 

12 comments:

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chiara said...

Oh my gosh....you just made me cry. Like full on real tears! I've always thought of you as an angel, but now....wow. You and B are incredible parents and any child would be beyond blessed to be in your home! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Jill said...

Wow! What an amazing decision to make! You guys will do amazing, and will definitely bless the lives of those you take in! Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Sarah said...

That is great. It takes special people to do that type of service.
Our neighbor does it for teenage boys. One of them even got baptised. The boys try really hard to do good, even though you can tell it is a struggle.

You will notice that neighbors step up as well, and welcome the kids full heartedly.

Michele said...

If anyone cam do it, you guys can. There are so many kids out there that need love and good influences. Best of luck!

Staci said...

You are amazing parents! My brother and his wife have adopted two little boys who are the most wonderful blessings. It is a tedious process, but so worth it! Good luck! We will be praying for you all.

Addison and Kristie said...

This topic is a very personal one for me. My niece was adopted outside of our family after living with us for 2 years. It has been extremely painful and amazingly positive all at the same time. There were issues of neglect involved, but today my niece is now a thriving, beautiful 7 year old, because of an amazing family that was inspired to be in the right place at the right time. Obviously the Spirit is leading you to the place you need to be and great things are awaiting you there. You are brave and courageous to follow the call. I am here to support you all the way!

MotocrossMom AKA Autumn H. said...

Wow, amazing - what a scary, exciting, step!
Chad and I talked about it for years...even met with the county team and did the background checks. We were ready to take the final step...then I got pregnant with Xan and again we were blessed with little Paizley. So we had to put it waaaayyy back on the shelf, since we are outnumber and overwhelmed right now, especially with my travelling for work every other week.
However....I sometimes still think about it and leave my options open for the future.
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU...AND PROUD TO BE YOUR GUYS' FRIEND!
You are both some of the most amazing people I know and you have done such a great job with the 3 you have, I truly believe you could make a huge difference in some special child's life.
Good luck, please keep us posted - we are rooting for you!

MotocrossMom AKA Autumn H. said...

Wow, amazing - what a scary, exciting, step!
Chad and I talked about it for years...even met with the county team and did the background checks. We were ready to take the final step...then I got pregnant with Xan and again we were blessed with little Paizley. So we had to put it waaaayyy back on the shelf, since we are outnumber and overwhelmed right now, especially with my travelling for work every other week.
However....I sometimes still think about it and leave my options open for the future.
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU...AND PROUD TO BE YOUR GUYS' FRIEND!
You are both some of the most amazing people I know and you have done such a great job with the 3 you have, I truly believe you could make a huge difference in some special child's life.
Good luck, please keep us posted - we are rooting for you!

Erika said...

Wow! What a wonderful idea! You two are such fabulous parents. If anyone could pull it off you could.

Meg said...

Good for you, Kelly! That is something that I have always wanted to do as well, and hopefully will when the time is right. You and B and your children could be a tremendous blessing to another child...and that child could be a tremendous blessing to you as well. Good luck with the process and please keep us updated!

Jane said...

Wow! What a huge and wonderful adventure! You are taking on a very admirable mission Kelly. I wish you the best of luck.