I am 36 years old and for the first time the other day, I felt old. I was on my daughters field trip surrounded by all these other moms. They were all sweet and beautiful and I felt like I fit in. Until they started talking about their ages. 24, 26, 23 and 27. The 27 year old had 6 kids! WHAT? They were all at least 10 years younger than me! 10! Only the 27 year old had kids older than 6. (When did she start having babies??) I spent the remainder of the field trip walking around feeling old. I think I was even walking old. Even my reflection was screaming "yep, you're old"! My dear children refer to my childhood as the 'olden days." In response, I always say, "Yes, the 80's was FORRRRREEEEEVER AGO! Can you believe I am still alive????"
UGH! Whatever the reason, the number 10 killed me that day! I have always been like 3 or 5 years at the most older than some, but 10? I still feel like the same old me. I think the same, act the same, and really am just Me. Age has never bothered me. I still shop in the juniors section. No, I don't want to be that frumpy lady. I still LOVE boy bands, Disney movies, and secretly wish that I could dress up like a princess and go to the store without being thought of as insane. Thank heaven for Halloween, so I can do just that! One direction is my favorite! If you see me driving down the street singing my head off its because I love them and secretly wish I was young enough to show it. I still think that the 1990's were 10 years ago and that I graduated high school 8 or so years ago. um, try 18 years ago!
My sweet husband turned 40 this year and he doesn't act any differently. He has a few, ok a LOT of grey hair, but I think it's sexy. Most of my close friends are over 40 and they look young to me. I told this situation above to my husband and he looked at me and said, "How old would you be if your mind/ body didn't tell you how old you actually are?" Hmmm... profound. Right now I feel about 16 because I still get butterflies before I go out on dates with B, just like when I was 16. I went to lunch with 2 of my favorite ladies and I felt like a mom, whatever age that is. 30 something maybe? Early 30's because that's when I felt like I knew everything. :) I am sure tonight when it's time for bed, I may feel more like 74. The more I think about age, the more I get depressed, so I will focus on living and making myself happy for the moment. As long as I act my age, right? Well, of course when no one is looking...
No comments:
Post a Comment