Monday, November 28, 2011

A Piano for free...

2 years ago, almost to the day I was in search for a piano.  I was looking everywhere.  On ebay, ksl.com, want ads, you name it!  I didn't have a ton of money to purchase one with, so I knew I wasn't going to get the best piano ever or an easy task.  I am quite certain that B thought I was nuts.  Let's just say, I needed a piano for under $300.  Ya I know, impossible.  I answered every ad and the piano's that I was finding were either gone in a flash because of their price, or too run down and in need of major repairs.  I kept looking.. for about 3 months. 

And then, one night at around 12AM, I was laying in bed and could not sleep.  I grabbed my phone and looked on ksl again and there it was.  An ad.  No picture. Just a sign that said, "Free Piano".  Ya right!  Anything that is free is too good to be true, right?!  I couldn't sleep that night! I HAD to try for that piano and I wanted to know if this ad was legit, but I couldn't call at 1 in the morning!  So, I waited until 7AM and called.  An older woman answered the phone.  I told her that I was interested in free piano.  I asked her what was wrong with it and why it was free.  She preceeded to tell me that she was 89 years old.  She hadn't played the piano in almost 20 years and this piano was just sitting, musicless in her home.  Her only desire was to have the piano go to a good home where it would be able to fill the home with music.  I told her that I had 3 kids and my desire was for them to play the piano.  This would be the perfect piano for them to learn on.  She then said, "Oh good!  This makes me happy. This is the piano that all of my children learned to play on.  Merry Christmas and please take care of it." 

After 2 years of having that piano, I can now say that it fills my home with music.  Thanks to the most amazing and patient piano teacher ever, Mara's music fills my home and heart with joy!  I have always wanted to play, but now I can see my kids play and I can't tell you what that means to me. AND, I can't believe that there are still people in this world today that will give such a wonderful gift to those they do not know.  I am thankful for that woman and her free piano.  I only wish I remembered her name. 
So, Thank you Shar for teaching Mara!
And, thank you to the woman for giving such a wonderful gift.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

WOW! What a great find! Maybe you can remind your kids of that generous gift any time they a throwing a fit and telling you they want to quit :)

Middle Age Moments said...

Mara is a little angel!She is a joy to teach. Love that girl and she is doing such a great job! LUCKY you to find such a great piano. Love you!