Friday, January 15, 2010

What every woman yearns for.... SIMPLICITY!!


Is there a woman/ mother out there that doesn't yearn for a more simple life? Sure, but in what? We are not all created the same. Maybe for some writing a novel, opening a boutique flower shop (would LOVE IT), having an amazing job, OR maybe just finishing one simple task at a time would be enough. I would love the last one. Time to finish, SOMETHING that I have started! With 3 kids under the age of 6, I find myself thinking of myself last most of the time. I still find time for me, but even since I started writing this post at 9am, I have had to break up 3 fights between my 2 youngest, clean up a spilled milk, take a book away from my two year old because she was tearing the pages out, change a poopy diaper, start 2 different movies that they still aren't watching, let the dog out and answer the phone and got two really big hugs from my daughter. All within about 35 minutes. WOW, simple! Sometimes, I just want to scream!

So, I daydream in between my life of chaos. I think of a "simple life." I picture a beautiful farm in the middle of nowhere, with open fields of wildflowers, a big porch with a swing and a glass vase always full of lemonade. Of course the weather would always be a perfect 72. And I would always have fresh cut flowers in every room. Daisies mostly. Horses in the pasture that I could go and talk to or ride at any moment. And off in the distance is a small bed and breakfast that I opened and run. Ahh, that sounds nice, but not very realistic at the moment. Oh well, maybe someday! But how can I find some simplicity in my life?

Well, I believe that we have to have gratitude for what we have and what we are dealing with each day. Really realize what we are trying to simplify. When we appreciate all that we have, we tend to want to change our lives of the things that make life harder or more challenging. Get back to the basics! Declutter! Spring cleaning, even if it's not spring. Less is more. I really believe that less is more.

I have been reading a book about finding joy in all things. I have made a goal that each night I write a seperate journal of the things that I found joy in that day. So, I took the number 5 and each night before I go to bed, I have to write 5 things that made me happy, grateful that day. I have found that some days, I can keep going and going. There are a lot that are the same each day. Other days, not so much, but it has got my wheels turning on what is really important and what I need to focus on or simplify.

My list last night consisted of the following.... (Some of it has been edited... hee hee)
1. Loved that Anna wanted to snuggle for a solid 30 minutes today! I love the way she smells. (Sometimes)
2. I didn't have to make dinner tonight. Eat out as much as possible. Not really, but good thought!
3. Laying next to Brandon each night makes my soul feel incredible.
4. I am sure that I will have to get up with Will sometime in the middle of the night and that's ok. Just another opportunity to give him a kiss and make him feel comfortable. I have learned to embrace the 2am wakeup call each night.
5. I painted Mara's room today and it looks soooo cute. Pink. Pink. Pink. That girl can't get enough of the color pink.

Even though I went to bed last night with a dirty kitchen, unfolded laundry, and who knows what else is waiting for me today, I can go to bed each night with gratitude in my heart and the want to simplify things that really matter. Everyday will give us simple gifts, we sometimes just have to search for it.

2 comments:

WRYUN said...

I like this post.
Inspirational.
Thanks for sharing. (c:

Janet said...

Loved this post! I agree. Working on the simplify thing myself. And, appreciating the little things. Amen.