There are days when I marvel at the blessings that I have received and then there are days where I wonder 'why me?' We all have them. Ups and downs. I don't care who you are, we ALL have trials or issues as I like to call them. As I was teaching a lesson in Young Woman's the other day on Gratitude, I began to realize just what I was doing about these crazy days of life, or should I say, wasn't doing...
In Luke 17: 10-19 the Bible tells the story of the 10 lepers. I have heard this story before, but NEVER really paid attention and applied it to my life. We know that through faith these lepers were cleansed. These people had enough faith in their hearts to believe that this could be done and so it was. (My goodness, DO I have that much faith?) HOWEVER, only one, yes ONE returned to say thank you. How often do 'I' do this small and realtively hurtful act? Not only to my Heavenly Father, but to friends and family and common strangers? How often do I take simple everday blessings for granted almost as if I am owed something? How often do I really turn around to say thank you for both blessings and trials (more on that in a moment)? Oh, I know the answer. And honestly, it's not near enough.
The lesson went on to talk about giving thanks, to everyone we come in contact with. In word and in deed. I challenged these young woman and truly (myself) to really take a long hard look at their lives. Say Thank You more often and maybe for no apparent reason. Shock someone with happieness and thanks. Look people in the face when doing so. This means family, friends and the checkout person at Walmart, etc. Write an old fashion letter. YES people! Snail mail! I received a letter from a dear friend who lived just 3 blocks from me. It made my day, perhaps changed my life in a small and simple way to be told how much that person loves and appreciates me through words and the time it took to send it. I challenged them to say a prayer to their Heavenly Father to just say thank you! THANK YOU!
As the days go by, we will have our ups and downs. Sometimes the downs might out weigh the ups, but keep on keeping on! Move forward, but don't forget to turn around and say thank you. Trials make us stronger, more faithful, better, so that we can achieve our best. Despite the problems that come into our lives, may we fill those days with the things that matter the most. Our realization of what is most important in life goes hand in hand with gratitude for our blessings.
SOOO.... I end with a HUGE THANK YOU! To all of you! For being you and standing up for what you believe in no matter what. For listening to me, inspiring me and leading by an example even when you think no one is watching. Thank you for blogging about what really makes you joyous, sad, inspired, and just plain happy, etc. You make me a better person. THANK YOU for being my friend.
1 comment:
From one stranger to another, your post really spoke to me. Thank you. It's hard to remember to rejoice in the lord even when trials are at hand...but I am learning to do so and your words have reminded me of that today. God bless :)
Post a Comment