Wednesday, November 17, 2010

His gift...

My poor cute hubby has been sick ever since we got back from San Francisco. Well, let me rephrase that, he's been sick on and off since he was a little kid. But, right now, he not only has a VERY intense case of the flu (yes, he had his flu shot! sadness) but he is STILL trying to pass a kidney stone that has been going on now for over a month! A MONTH! (That's like having intense labor pains everyday, all day!), he has ulcers in his stomach and we are still trying to (actually I am in denial about this one) figure out why he has seizures. I can't even write the word without feeling sick to my stomach, having the nervous sweats and wanting to run and hide. And then, well I won't go into all of the other health problems that he encounters each and everyday... there is no need. You get the picture.
I want to let you all know what an amazing man I am married to. Actually, I want to scream it to the world! I know, I know what you are thinking. It's like saying you have the most beautiful kids... well, guess what?! You do! And so do I!
This man is different from a lot. He is your basic everyday, kind, thoughtful, hard working, charitable, loving, honorable, best friend you could ever have kind of guy. And he is blessed with a gift. A gift many of us, including me! have, but haven't opened up.  As I roll around in self pity (wow, I do that a lot!, sorry! ) asking "why does This happen to us? (This meaning HIS health), he has NEVER asked "why me? why this?" NEVER! He NEVER complains! EVER! And he is the one that is sick! He probably figures he doesn't have to, I DO enough of that for both of us. Yet, he is the one that suffers. He is the one that can't go ride his bike like he used to or compete in triathalons anymore. Playing with the kids even for 20 minutes can be physically exhausting to him and at the end of a work day, sometimes its all he can do to sit upwright.
Someone once told me that it is harder to be the secondary sufferer than it is being the one who is sick. I don't know. I've never been the sick one. I DO know that if I could, I WOULD trade him spots any day of the week! It literaly kills me inside and out to know he battles everyday just to get up and lead a 'normal' life. He just takes what he is given and thanks the Lord everyday for what he has.
He has been given A Gift.
The gift of pure patience. The gift of being ok with the trials that you are given, because it could always be worse. The gift of gratitude. The gift of knowing that there is something better waiting for us on the other side, period! The gift of knowing that through this crazy life, the things that we have to learn are for our benefit. Why? Who knows? The gift of teaching. He has taught me everything really is going to be ok. He has taught me to look at life and smile because everyday that we are here on this earth is a gift in and of itself. He has taught me of the gift and power of true companionship and true love. And, everyday that we can learn something new, we are better for it. He has taught me to LIVE life and laugh always.
HE DOES... it's time I did too.
Thank you B... for everything!

2 comments:

Chiara said...

Any husband that locks his wife out of the house and MAKES her play until midnight....and forces her to go on a girls trip when he's got kidney stones....is truly one fantastic husband!! Kudos to B!

Staci said...

Brandon is an amazing person! He makes everyone feel at ease and special. I really admire Brandon and give praises to you, Kelly, for supporting him and loving him through all of his trials.