After Brandon's last seizure (December 2009), our little world went spinning down, down, down! I felt a lot like Alice in Wonderland, but I was not in Wonderland. I was in a horrible deep awful place. A place even your nightmares can't take you, because unlike dreams or nightmares, this place is REAL. A place without sunshine, joy, or beauty. My head, heart and spirit kept telling me I had been abandoned from anything that would give me hope or happiness. In my head, I was a horrible person, mother, wife and friend. I belonged here, or so I thought.
I woke up one morning and looked in the mirror and for a brief moment was frightened. I had no idea who I was starring at. Who was this person looking back at me? She looked somewhat familiar, but barely resembled what I had expected to see. From that morning on, I did not want to see that person again. Scared and terrified, I immediately went into hiding. If I didn't look for this person, she wouldn't find me? Right?! No, this awful person has many faces and I was soon visited by the horrible faces of anxiety and depression. I don't like them. Not at all.
Days and weeks went on and I carried on thinking that I was hiding really well. I put on a pretty good show, at least I thought. I'm pretty sure I won't win an Oscar. (Denial is a safe place to be, but unfortunately, misery comes side by side denial. ) As each summer day went on, I realized that my hiding place had also taken me away from feeling the sun, light, color. I couldn't see! I was in a fog (which ironically, I LOVE fog) that I couldn't get out of. It was real. Oh so real. I would put my glasses on and I STILL couldn't see one step in front of me. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't even do that. I was overcome by numbness. Everything numb. It was as if someone had reached up and turned off my switch. Just like that, darkness!
Well, (long story, that I may get the guts up to tell someday) it once again took my beautiful little angels that were sent to me from my Heavenly Father to find me. They opened the window so I could once again feel the breeze and smell the zest in life and LOVE, CRY, LAUGH and count my blessings. I wasn't alone. I never was and NEVER will be. My Father in Heaven has paved a way for me to always have Him and my family and that is all that matters.
I know this all sounds so silly and really one day when I am ready, I will tell the ENTIRE story. I am blessed and I know this. Oh, how I know this. I have in my grasp all that is needed to escape that horrible awful place. I never want to be there again.
If you can answer yes, to the question "Has this ever happened to you?I want you to know that you really are not alone. Find the window, find your love and find God. He is there and with all of these tools, you will always see light, color and feel joy. Except on an occasional rainy or snowy day. BUT, I'll take THAT darkness ANYTIME!
6 comments:
Wow, Kelly. I'm sorry you have been struggling! I don't know the details of what you have been going through, but I do know what it's like to feel terribly alone in trials. It is such an awful, all consuming feeling. I hope you are feeling more light in your life. I hope you know how truly wonderful you are, and I hope you know that you are loved by many...including me!
Kelly, I'm so sorry you have been going through such a rough patch! I know exactly how that feels to almost be so far gone that you don't even recognize yourself... it really can be a scary place to be. I hope that things are getting better for you. I know you can get through anything, your testimony has always been such a strength to mine, and it's that strength that you have that makes you so special!
Kelly,
I'm so glad you seem to have made it through. During those dark and awful times I know what it's like to wonder if you will ever feel joy, or hope again. To now be able to feel those feelings is so incredible and all the more sweeter since you have felt the sorrows.
You know I've been there!
I too have been there....infact, I think we've been going through it at the same time....Life is interesting isn't it? I so admire your strength and your patience (and lets not forget your wicked awesome acting skills!) and your attitude. You are an incredible person and I feel blessed to call you my friend. Maybe more date nights out would help both of us!! ;)- Stay strong....and know you always have a shoulder to lean on.
I wish I would have known! I have been there in a big way a couple of times in the past. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on and an understanding ear, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Love you and hope you know that. PLEASE let me know if I can help in at all. :-)
Post a Comment