Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just listen already....

Ohhh... I tend to get angry easily. It's become a natural instinct to react negatively when all you seem to get is bad news or unanswered questions. When something goes wrong I immediately build a wall, take cover and gather an army for battle. But I don't want to fight... So instead I gravitate towards pity and dig a deep trench to hide in. It's quite exhausting, as these emotions sweep through me in a matter of minutes. My own emotional tsunami.
But then something miracoulous happens and my anger is quickly replaced by humility and gratitude. This wave is starting to come more quickly than it did before. This past week it came in the form of my 6 year old daughter, Mara.
Now before we go any further, let me explain what has happened this week... or it may be easier to make a list.
*Our paycheck didn't come, as a matter of fact, we are still waiting and it's 2 weeks late!
*I had to get a Endo something...something biopsy, BLAH! Waiting for the results...praying.
*Sameday as the biopsy, we had to rush Brandon into the ER.... Kidney Stones (or as the Doctor put it,"congratulations! You are having twins!") ... Still waiting for them to pass.
Waiting seems to be the common theme here, right?! Well it is. As I explained above, all of this could make me angry and I guess in some ways it has. But as I was digging my trench, I decided to turn conference on. I love listening for words of inspiration and encouragement. As President Eyring was talking, I looked over at Mara who was doing her homework. She was crying. Not the sad cry, the HAPPY cry or so she calls it. I asked her what was wrong and she said this...
"Nothing Mom, I just feel really happy inside. He (Pres. Eyring) is talking about Jesus and I know what he is saying is true. It IS true Mom and we NEED to listen."
The talk was on finding Trust in God. Putting all that you have and listening to everything being said. I DID need to listen. I had turned it on and tuned it out. Just listen. So, I guess, YES, I could be angry that once again we are facing money and health problems, but I have a peace in my heart that everything will be ok and you know what?! It will. It will always be ok. I find it interesting that so often in my life's struggles, it takes a small child to put me back on track and make me listen.
Alma 32:23 it states..."little children do have words given unto them many times, which confound the wise and the learned."
Thank you Mara for always reminding me that all that matters is right in front of me. My family and friends and we will get through it!

2 comments:

MotocrossMom AKA Autumn H. said...

Oh so true girlie!
Don't you think that God knew exactly what he was doing when he trusted us with these amazing little beings?
I think mine are teaching me more about patience, love and slowing down to appreciate life than anything else in my 35 years has ever been able to.

Hope you guys get some good news soon - you are long overdue, hang in there!

Chiara said...

What a little angel! It is moments like that that get us through this journey called Motherhood. And what a good mom for documenting it so that it will always be remembered!